Boys Hockey Falls to Wellesley in First Round of Tournament

Rachel Stanton, Social Media Editor

Entering the MIAA Division I South Tournament, Walpole Boys Hockey, ranked eighth out of eleven, knew they would have to fight with everything they had for a win. On Feb. 27,  Walpole fell to Wellesley 3-0 in the preliminary round, which brought the Rebels season to an end. Despite the loss, the Rebels believe they played to their best potential as a team against the Raiders.

“As a team, we never gave up,” senior Captain Conor Foley said. “Even though we were down for the majority of the game, not one of us laid down. It was 100 percent effort every shift.”

Less than three minutes into the game, Wellesley freshman Joe Fleming punched a shot past sophomore goaltender Jack Curran, allowing the Raiders to take an early lead. Both teams had numerous power play opportunities; however, neither team seized control of an extra skater on the ice. With Walpole unable to finish any plays to tie the score, the Raiders scored again halfway through the second period with a goal from junior Liam Jensen, furthering their lead. Wellesley junior Emmit Coakley sealed the deal for the Raiders, knocking in a third goal with less than five minutes to play.

Wellesley’s goaltender, junior Drew Hubbard, entered the tournament with only 1.25 Goals Against Average and managed to save all eighteen shots that came his way.

“Minus a few breakdowns, the defense played well and the forwards dominated the offensive zone, but we could not find a way to get the puck in the back of the net, as the Wellesley goalie is very talented,” junior Liam Fisher said.

As one season comes to a close, the players look forward to the next when the rising underclassmen in the program hope to to fill the shoes of the many seniors who will not be returning.

“Hopefully we have a strong team next year based on young talent rallied around the older guys,” Fisher said. “We look to return to the tournament and make a further run.”

After the game, the seniors returned to the locker room one last time, where they hung up their skates and returned their uniforms. Not only will they miss the thrill of an intense game, but also being a part of a group with a common love for the sport.

“What will I miss most? It’s pretty simple: stepping on the ice with my best friends everyday,”  Foley said. “ Whether it was a practice or a game, it always lightened up my day. There really is no better feeling.”

The seniors have made many memorable moments throughout their high school careers, including the 2017 Super 8 Tournament run that several of them were a part of. Other victories, including winning the Songin Cup for the past three years, and things as simple as hanging out with the team have made their time as a Rebel something they will never forget.

“Words can’t describe how thankful I am for all the teammates, coaches, parents and fans that have made these memories possible,” Foley said.

Rachel Stanton, Social Media Director

Rachel Stanton, class of 2020, is a second year staff writer and Social Media Director for The Rebellion. At Walpole High School, she runs cross country,...