Boys Hockey Defeats Rival Braintree Wamps, 3-1

Olivia O'Connell, Staff Writer

Boys Hockey had one goal in mind when facing the Braintree Wamps: to get revenge. At Rodman Arena on Jan. 9, they did just that. After the Wamps eliminated the Rebels from the tournament last season, the Rebels skated out of the arena with a 3-1 win this season to improve their record to 5-2-2.

“It felt really good beating the team that knocked us out of playoffs last year. It gives the entire team more confidence going forward,” senior Danny Savary said.

The first period of the game was uneventful, and both teams walked to the locker rooms tied at 0-0. The Rebels knew what they needed to improve upon in the second period.

We took too many penalties in the first period, but the team was determined to not let it derail them in the second. It was a response that I am beginning to see with this team more and more,” head coach Ron Dowd said.

As Dowd expected, the Rebels started off the second period with a bang. Just 52 seconds into the period, Savary slapshotted the puck into the back of the net to give the Rebels an early 1-0 lead.

“We just needed to be better in all phases of the game after the first [period], and once we scored that first goal in the second, we didn’t look back,” Savary said.

A little over two minutes later, the Rebels scored their second goal of the game on a power play. Savary slid the puck over to junior Marc Hirshom, who fired the puck to the top corner of the net, which then put the Rebels up 2-0 over the Wamps.

“We had a lot on the line and I think everyone really turned it up knowing how much it meant to returning players,” junior Marc Hirshom said.

With 10:32 left in the second period, the Wamps scored their lone goal of the game off of a fast-break down the ice; however, the Rebels still had a 2-1 lead.

The rest of the game was consistently back-and-forth until the Rebels scored their final goal of the game. With 5:03 left on the scoreboard, Savary netted another goal, this time off of a breakaway. When the final buzzer sounded, the Rebels claimed their victory against their rival and proudly skated off the ice with a 3-1 win.

“Winning our fifth game in a row was huge for us. As a team, it was our best game of the season,” senior captain Conor Foley said. “We are looking to build off this win and hopefully continue playing the way we have been.”

One of the aspects of the game that head coach Ron Dowd was impressed with was his players’ work ethic. Overall, he felt that the Rebels had contributions from every member of the team, though he was most impressed with a few key players who contributed so much to the team’s win.

“[Savary] had three points but his leadership all over the ice was evident. Liam Fisher and Mike DiCenzo were great on the blue line, and Jack Curran had a very strong game in net,” Dowd said.

The Rebels are only about halfway into their season and will look to keep improving their 5-2-2 record.

“I hope it can build some momentum, but we are only as good as our next game. To steal a line from Coach Belichick, ‘great win, but it is on to [Brookline],’” Dowd said.

Olivia O'Connell, Staff Writer

Olivia O'Connell, class of 2019, is a third year sports staff writer for The Rebellion. At Walpole High School, she plays lacrosse. Outside of school,...