“Red Dead Redemption 2” is Worth the Eight-Year Wait

Jared Schmitt, Staff Writer

The sequel to Rockstar’s beloved “Red Dead Redemption” released on Oct. 26 and impressed the players who bought it immediately. “Red Dead Redemption 2” is a prequel to the first and follows Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linne Gang, which includes John Marston, the protagonist from the first game. Taking place in 1899 with a map spanning over five states, there is a ton of content for the player to explore. While the multiplayer is rather standard for a game made by Rockstar, the single player world and story make the game amazing despite the multiplayer mode’s lack of originality.

The multiplayer mode has players controlling a character of their own design trying to get rich and level up to unlock new weapons and items to help them succeed. Players can attack one another or team up in their attempts to progress in the game, and it is thrilling  to engage in old western style standoffs with one other player or a massive firefight with a group of players. While the multiplayer is entertaining and captivating, it does bring with it a lot of gameplay that feels similar to “Grand Theft Auto Online” just in a new setting. Leveling up begins to get tedious the farther into the levels the player gets and it does get frustrating to run into higher level players because their equipment and weapons will be better. That being said, it is incredibly satisfying to defeat someone at a higher level than you as they had the advantage. The setting is also stunning, as it takes the same map from the single player mode and is incredible to explore. While it does feel incredibly similar to “Grand Theft Auto Online,” which came out in 2013, the new setting and map bring enough change to make the multiplayer enjoyable, if not amazing like the single player mode.

The single player mode is marvelous, and the story is very engaging. It begins with James Arthur and his crew, headed by Dutch Van Der Linne, an older man and career criminal, who runs the group effectively, hiding out in a camp during a bad snowstorm in the spring. The player learns about a robbery gone wrong that caused the group to run from town without a lot of their money, and the story continues with them trying to get their money back so they can lie low for good. The story is masterful in making the player care about the characters as they all have distinct personalities, like Pearson, the gang’s cook, who is never without a whiskey bottle in his hand, or Micah, a career criminal, who is unpredictable in how he will act from one moment to the next. Even when the player is not around the characters interact with one another making them feel more like actual people and not just places to start quests and progress the game. The map is beautiful with tons to explore and do throughout all of it, it is very easy to lose time exploring trying to complete challenges, like hunting a certain amount of deer, or just leveling up your horse by riding it around. The player also has the choice to make themselves well-liked or an outlaw wanted in every town with a morality system that keeps track of every action the player makes. The game has a world of its own that engulfs the player and gives them an experience that is truly unforgettable.

“Red Dead Redemption 2” is an incredible game that Rockstar has put a lot of care into its creation with small details that can go completely unnoticed, like water on a horse’s legs after being in water. The story and exploration available are stupendous with tons of content for the players to find and complete. Even with a multiplayer that is good but not great, the single player alone is enough to make the game well worth the eight year break that occurred between the original “Red Dead Redemption” and the latest installment in the series.

Jared Schmitt, Staff Writer

Jared Schmitt, class of 2018, is a second year staff writer for The Rebellion. At Walpole High School, he competes on the Speech and Debate team in various...