The CW’s “Supergirl” Returns for a Fourth Season

Allison Millette

Over the past few years, television network The CW has been cultivating its legion of superheroes, with shows like “The Flash,” “Arrow” and “Legends of Tomorrow”. After its season one premiere on CBS, the network also picked up “Supergirl,” a show that centers around Kara Danvers (Melissa Benoist), cousin of the famed Superman. The show is now on its fourth season and struggling to live up to the expectations its previous episodes have set. Certain aspects of the season premiere felt redundant and unengaging, character interactions felt forced and the action felt out of place. Episode one of season four aired Oct. 14, on Sunday, its new airing date.

An overwhelming issue for “Supergirl” is creating storylines that can be carried over into the next season. The writers seem to cultivate erratic, short stints of engaging plot, only to ruin what can be salvaged for the subsequent season. Season three ended with the departure of Kara’s exlove interest Mon-El (Chris Wood), a plot point that was repeated on a less dramatized note from the season two finale. Arguably, some of the best episodes included his character and the conflict that it evoked but the writers fails to keep his character relevant throughout the course of a season.

The other problem especially prevalent in the season premiere was the absence of the much-needed comedic relief through Winn Schott (Jeremy Jordan). Schott was a character who provided quirky dialogue and a passion for cardigans, who left Supergirl and her team in the season three finale. The writers attempted to fill the hole left by his absence with a new character, Brainiac (Jesse Roth). Unfortunately, the character paled in comparison to Schott’s perfectly timed and fitting humor. Where Schott’s character was meticulously developed and offbeat, Brainiac feels thrown together and his jokes forced and at most points, dull.

However, there were points in the episode that the writers paid homage to the earlier seasons, which serves as a promising look towards season four. The writers included some aspects that lacked in season three, such as Kara’s job as a reporter. This detail was something that was essential to Kara’s characterization in the first two seasons that was dropped almost entirely in the previous season. Kara’s close relationship with her sister Alex (Chyler Leigh) was also a main point that was expanded upon.

Episode one of season four gave viewers a nostalgic feel in featuring a scene between the two sisters, an aspect that played a pivotal role in the audiences initial bond to the sisters in previous seasons.

A new aspect that will be potentially engaging is the antagonist: this season, Supergirl is fighting not a person but a movement. “Supergirl” and her team will face a harshened attitude against aliens and deal with an increased backlash against their presence. The writers have been successful with incorporating details they see presented in the world around them into the show. Additionally, “Supergirl” is introducing the first transgender superhero, Nia (Nicole Maines).

The show has been vocal about the new character, which has brought the attention of many viewers who are happy with the development of a more diverse cast.

The show is attempting to bring back crucial aspects of the previous seasons to hold onto their already weakening viewership. Although this concept works short-term, there is no security in reusing old material. Hopefully, this season will be able to revive older aspects to maintain viewers while also bringing in new, exciting content.

Allison Millette, Staff Writer

Allison Millette, class of 2019, is a second year staff writer for The Rebellion. Allie also is a member of the Walpole High School Theatre club, Speech...