Baseball Qualifies for Super Eight Tournament

Olivia O'Connell

The Walpole Rebels Baseball team made school history by clinching a spot in the Super Eight baseball tournament for the first time in school history on June 3. After finishing their regular season with a 15-5-0 record, the Rebels will compete for the Division 1A MIAA trophy against seven other top seeds in the postseason.

“We’re really proud to carry the torch of the Bay State League into the Super Eight,” Head Coach Chris Costello said. “Both Braintree and Newton North have put us as a league on the map in this tournament and we certainly recognize that fact.”

The Rebels won the Bay State Herget Conference Championship two days prior to clinching the eighth seed, after defeating the Braintree Wamps—two-time Super Eight Champions—in a shutout of 13-0.

The following day, the Rebels went on to face Newton-North and scored three runs in the top of the seventh inning, finishing the game 3-0 and securing their spot in the Super Eight. Pitcher and Northeastern University junior commit Cam Schlittler finished with an impressive 11 strikeouts against the Tigers, as well as only allowing four hits in six innings.

“Being selected for the Super Eight is great,” Schlittler said. “The boys and I have played a tough, successful season, and we can’t wait to see where this will take us.”

The Rebels faced Boston College (BC) High, the number one seed, in the first round on Wednesday, June 6 away at BC High. Coach Costello was well-aware of the challenge they would face coming into the game.

“BC High will present a number of challenges,” Costello said. “First and foremost, Mike Vasil, a Virginia commit and MLB prospect who’s arguably the best pitcher in Massachusetts.”

Undoubtedly, the Rebels played a tough first round game with a loss of 4-0. The rebels will look to their standout players to continue their tournament run on a high-note.

“[Schlittler] and Matt Donato have led our pitching staff going a combined 12-1. Bryan Kraus has led our offense hitting .347, three home runs and 20 RBI’s,” Costello said. “Dylan Hanifin and Matt Falvey have also had standout seasons offensively. Defensively, Jack Magane at shortstop and Tyler Page at catcher have provided elite-level defense.”

Despite the team’s outcome in the tournament, they have had a historic season by attaining their first berth into the Super Eight.

“I think we have had an awesome season. We have surpassed all of our goals from the beginning of the year both winning the Bay State Conference and making the Super Eight,” senior captain Tyler Page said.

Although the Rebels lost first round to Boston College (BC) High, they won the following two games, defeating Mansfield as well as St. John’s Preparatory School. The Rebels will face Boston College (BC) High again on Thursday, June 14 at 4:00 p.m. at Campanelli Stadium in Brockton.

Olivia O'Connell, Staff Writer

Olivia O'Connell, class of 2019, is a third year sports staff writer for The Rebellion. At Walpole High School, she plays lacrosse. Outside of school,...