Four Natural Essentials Every Household Needs

Catherine Hurwitz

If you have ever seen a one-man or one-woman show, you would be familiar with the performer’s ability to play all the different roles. As he or she multitasks, you unexpectedly see the immense talent that it takes to do everything all at once without a second thought.

Like these productions, playing many different roles is also a feature of many natural products: lemons, coconut oil, green tea and baking soda. Health foods, anti-inflammatories, cleaners—these products have unforeseen multi-uses that proves to be extremely useful in day-to-day life.

Advances in technology, medicine and overall knowledge are extremely prevalent in today’s world. While at some times new products can seem superior, at other times the chemicals in the products can be counterintuitively detrimental to health. Sometimes it is beneficial to take a step back from new advancements and see the advantages of using natural objects that can be found right in the house.

Everybody knows the aphorism “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” There is truth to this common saying, as you can use lemons for more than just a flavoring. Lemons can be transmuted into a polish when mixing one part lemon juice and two parts olive oil. This mixture can make furniture and utensils shiny and scratch-free. Lemon juice mixes with salt to get rid of rust, and it mixes with warm water to make your hair shine after shampooing. Instead of spending money on going to a salon, use lemon juice to highlight your hair.

Like lemons, coconut oil can also be used as a polish. Coconut oil may, in fact, have the most uses of all items on the list.

Eating a spoonful of coconut oil each day is a natural energy booster, hormone balancer, immunity booster and fat burner—full of MCFA fats, medium chain triglycerides, lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid and MCT’s.

For skin care, it can be a moisturizer; makeup remover; fighter of acne, eczema and psoriasis; and reducer of wrinkles and age spots. It can be used in cooking as a healthy alternative to other oils, butter and grease for sauteing, frying and flavoring. Above all else, coconut oil improves Alzheimer’s, kills candida and helps to prevent cancer.

While coffee is the world’s staple of an energizing morning drink, green tea actually is a better alternative to daily caffeine intake.

The caffeine is a stimulant without jittery effects. Not to mention, green tea has a distinct yet sweet flavor, and it also reduces stress and causes relaxation. It is loaded with polyphenols which function as antioxidants, and many of the bioactive compounds originally found in the tea leaves are also found in the final drink. The metabolic rate increases with green tea, so fat gets burned quicker.

Like coconut oil, green tea is a preventative to diseases like cancer, cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. There have been studies proving that green tea can make one live longer.

When thinking of baking soda, cooking and teeth-whitening come to mind. If you keep baking soda close to your oven, you can use it to put out fires. Baking soda is a great product for self care: it treats teeth, bad breath, odor, insect bites, dead skin and irritation.

Many air fresheners are loaded with toxins, but baking soda can produce an aroma without harmful chemicals when mixed with essential oils. Adding baking soda to carpets, fridges and trash cans has a deodorizing effect. Cleaning the house is simple when using baking soda with water. Finally, being a safe antacid, baking soda can relieve heartburn.

Lemons, coconut oil, green tea and baking soda each act on their own for personal and home care.

Being easily accessible to all at a low cost, these items are each essential. The products each star in their own show and play all the roles for day-to-day survival.

Catherine Hurwitz, Online Managing Editor and Entertainment Editor

Katie Hurwitz, class of 2019, is the Online Managing Editor and Entertainment Editor  for The Rebellion. At school, Katie is involved in National Honor...