Despite Loss on Senior Night, Girls Hockey Advances to Second Round of Tournament

Walpole's forwards celebrate their goal against Milton.

The Walpole Girls Hockey team competed against the Canton Bulldogs on the Rebels’ Senior Night, Feb. 21. Senior captains Amanda Janowicz, Sarah Feeley and Lauryn Hallet were honored before the start of the game for the closure of their high school careers. The Rebels lost 2-1, leaving them one point short from being in the Division II Massachusetts State tournament.

“Between the first and the second periods, we calmed down and decided to focus and play with our hearts and even though we ended up losing a close game, we dominated Canton and the puck was in their end pretty much the rest of the game,” Hallet said.

With the scoreboard at 11:48 in the first period, the Bulldogs scored their first goal on a wide open assist in front of the net. Canton then proceeded to score another quick goal with 7:31 left in the first period.

Coming into the start of the second period, the Rebels knew they needed to step up the intensity. Amanda Janowicz took a wide shot on net and Canton’s goalie slapped it away in the direction of sophomore Catie Martin who followed through and put Walpole on the board.

After an uneventful third period, the score remained 2-1 with the Bulldogs taking home the win.

“The loss was upsetting because we still needed a point for tournament,” Janowicz said.

Despite the loss, the Rebels still qualified for the tournament the following day. They competed at Marshfield High School and tied 2-2 which gave them just enough points to improve their record to 500, qualifying them for their postseason tournament.

Hallet said, “We have to set the pace of the game from the beginning and come out hard and fast like we did with Marshfield. Along with that and putting pucks on the net fast, I am confident we can dominate any team we play in tournament.”

The Rebels began their tournament run on a high note, defeating Matignon 5-2. Their next game against Canton on Sunday Mar. 4, in Canton at 5:30 p.m.

Olivia O'Connell, Staff Writer

Olivia O'Connell, class of 2019, is a third year sports staff writer for The Rebellion. At Walpole High School, she plays lacrosse. Outside of school,...