Review: Netflix Original “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” Continues to Bring the Laughs in its Third Season

Rebecca Boyajian

Esteemed for its unparalleled level of quirky hilarity Netflix original “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” finally returns with a third season that ushers in just as much laughter as the last two. Once again show creators Robert Carlock and Tina Fey allow viewers to indulge in a binge-watching session of flawless chemistry amongst one of the most zany oddball ensembles to have ever graced television screens.

Season three continues to follow the hilariously innocent yet strong Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper) as she attempts to navigate the uncharted waters of adult life. This season focuses on Kimmy’s divorce from the man who had kidnapped her years ago and her journey into the college world.

Wacky characters, one and all, return to the eccentric backdrop of NYC to further the weird mischief displayed in the previous two seasons. The money hungry Jacqueline White (Jane Krakowski)  struggles with her long distance relationship, and Lillian (Carol Kane) attempts to gain a city councilwoman spot so that she can preserve “old school” New York. Of course the show would not be complete if actor Titus Burgess did not reprise his role as fan favorite Titus Andromedan, the struggling singer who soaks up the spotlight any chance he gets.

Fierce photo of Titus Andromedon channeling his inner Beyonce

The blinding highlight of this season unmistakably falls within the hands of Titus during his episode two impersonation of Beyonce’s latest album “Lemonade.” After returning home from a cruise ship headline gig, Titus begins to suspect his boyfriend Mike is cheating on him. In full Titus fashion he jumps to conclusions and completely embodies Beyonce, donning a yellow dress and beating cars with a “baseball stick” as referred to by the character.

While the main cast gains the most attention (granted they are supplying most of the hilarity), the side characters popping in and out of the show this season really help to blend the chemistry and amp up the comedic atmosphere.

There’s a collage of colorful characters that extend far beyond the main group of pals at the show’s forefront.  David Cross returns to the cast as Jacqueline’s boyfriend Russ Snyder. Jacqueline’s weird best friend and shadow Mimi Kanasis (Amy Sedaris) is constantly bouncing off the walls and frantically blurts out every bizarre thought that pops into her head.

When “Kimmy Schmidt” first hit Netflix, it managed to push past the normal boundaries of traditional sitcoms, producing a zany bunch of characters acting out an even more bizarre plot line. Now the show seems to be struggling with amping up the shock factor fans originally fell in love with but  still produces quality entertainment, stays true to its wacky self and most importantly brings the laughter.